Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pirates must love nights like tonight

We're in Oman tomorrow and the next day have been informed of a high level pirating alert currently in effect as we make our way from Oman to Egypt tomorrow night and the following day. We'll be hugging the coastline of Yemen to avoid the pirates who've apparently been frequently hoping aboard shipping vessels in the past few months and having their fill. The idea of Yemen as a safehaven seems counterintuitive...and it's all a bit scary, considering we don't have much of a security force onboard (I'd like to think there's a secret group of cruise ninjas I never see because they don't like daylight or something). Anyway...nights like tonight, when the seas are beautiful and the moon is bright...it's a wonder there's any need for pirating anymore.

I get homesick in moments. Shiplife really is wonderful and I understand what musicians say when they warn other musicians about getting 'stuck' on cruiseships. I'm by no means considering a boat life/career, but am very attracted to the idea of returning in segments. This ship feels like home to me right now. Dallas has been the only place that has ever felt like a 'home' to me (though not anymore), but since I moved away when 18, the road has been the most comfortable place I've known. That's feels weird to say, but I recognize the truth of this more each day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home