Saturday, March 29, 2008

Escalators & Good Company...Kuala Lumpur

I don’t like shopping and avoid it whenever I can. I’m my Father’s son in that sense, except that I still handle buying my own clothes. I think my Dad must have resigned that worry a couple years after marriage. When I hit the gateway port to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia the allure of a 2-hour drive to view the twin towers quickly faded behind the discovery of a mega mall 30 minutes from the dock. There was a strange comfort in seeing familiar shops and kiosks, wide isles and escalators. And a movie theatre. There is a theatre on the boat, and at first glance it’s quite impressive…big screen, stadium seating, free popcorn... When the movie starts, the picture ends up filling about 1/4th of the mammoth screen, and the popcorn is always cold. The projector either can’t do wide screen or the ceiling is too low to allow it…either way, I end up getting watching people walk by the theatre entrance instead of the movie. Damned ADD. Needless to say, in no time we were ordering hot caramel popcorn watching 10,000B.C…all for about $4 US.

Everything seems to center around seafood in this part of the world. I like seafood in general, but have had some major challenges in the past few days, especially in Hong Kong (see below). A Malaysian discovery I DO recommend is fish bread. It came wrapped in seaweed paper they cook it in, and usually accompanies the many variations of broth-based seafood soups they serve here and throughout Vietnam. Contrary recommendation. Maybe it was just this one Malaysian fast food chain, but they put these funny jelly worms in their softdrinks that are supposed to transform it into a tasty dessert. I am not a fan of solids through a straw, so I left my wormy desert for my friend Oolala (phonetically).

I didn’t buy anything today expect the movie and food. I enjoy good company and escalators. I anticipate a song out of this.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home