Monday, March 24, 2008

Music is a Drug

I love it when I listen to a song and don’t want to leave the mood it puts me in. This happens to me most often when I listen to Sting, but right now it John Mayer’s Continuum. I don’t want to listen to the song again, so I turn the music off and stay there til the feeling fades. My old roommate once wrote a song called ‘Music is a Drug’. It is. It’s strange that it can affect people in such different ways. There’s plenty of music that does nothing for me emotionally, some that makes me feel gross, some that makes me feel like I’m not alone and others that make me feel like I am. If emotions are presented as chemicals in our brains, then music releases these chemicals in the same way as drugs do. That’s wild. Someone should study that. One day I might be into jazz and the next day Beethoven is the only thing I want to hear, then Smashing Pumpkins. Right now it’s John Mayer’s “The Heart of Life”. It sounds so sincere. I know how easy it is to fake or create a mood in the studio. Despite if it’s real or not, it’s done well and no one should care. I’ve decided that waves against shoreline is the perfect way to sustain a mood. Try it sometime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home