Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei

Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei is the first port we’ve been to that doesn’t feel Americanized, and subsequently my first step into what truly feels like a foreign land. It won't be until Europe that Christianity is the most practiced religion, but a few things remain truly universal. The world has a taste for Pizza Hut, and in return the Hut has taken its sauce across every conceivable boundary...



I think it takes an Arby's before a country is truly considered developed.

It was in this city that I took my first step into a mosque. There's a mosque down the street from where I live in Nashville. In contrast to the mosque pictured below, the Nashville mosque does not have a 6 ton globe made of pure gold. However, I hear they do have terrific social barbques and that's worth something. The reverence and strictness of the Muslim faith is inspiring. I have no insight into the genuineness of their efforts, but the unwavering consistency of their rituals are beautiful. I wonder if there are less formal sects of Islam like in Christianity...like the jeans and t-shirt version that meets in a strip mall. After visiting this beautiful building in the middle of Bandar Seri Begawan, I put my shoes back on, and began a fruitless search for some barbque.







There is a large village in the middle of the city that is completely raised on stilts and is only accessable by boat. The price for a boat ride to the city was the equivalent of about 25cents.



On to Hong Kong...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home