Monday, April 21, 2008

Alexandria/Cairo, Egypt

It was a 3 hours ride from the port of Alexandria to Cairo. I had heard about a Pizza Hut adjacent to the Sphynx and Great Pyramids (no doubt the plot of an ingenious franchisee), but was surprised to find PH nestled along the perimeter of downtown Giza only about a hundred yards away. Somehow the mystery of the Pyramids was diminished beside the bustling suburban city. I don’t know if it was the commercialization of the whole thing, anticipation built up around the idea of seeing the Pyramids, the overwhelm of unprocessed new memories, or just the hot desert sun…but something was glazing my perspective. There’s no doubt that the pyramids are amazing in person, but I wasn’t mystified and felt like I should have been. The Egyptian museum and the ‘Mummies Room’ were neat, though it became clear how many of the coolest artifacts the British Empire and other countries took from Egypt. I won’t lie…riding a camel was my favorite part. The pizza was pretty good, too.



Street Peddlers & more of their crap...


Sphynx...


Our sound & lights queen gets distracted...


PH


Camels...










I don’t mean to discourage anyone reading this. Go visit the Pyramids someday. And don’t be a weenie and not climb into the big pyramid (but never give food to the cripple guy hiding out in the middle. Just don’t).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home